ALAN RYALL MARINE ART

 

 

Brigadoon and the Bridge

14x24 inches, oil on linen

The 65-foot schooner Brigadoon was built as Joann in 1924, the first boat designed by L. Francis Herreshoff.  She sailed on the East Coast under various owners, and was renamed Brigadoon of Booth Bay by Sterling Hayden who sailed her to the West Coast in the 1940s. She arrived in the San Francisco Bay Area in the 1960s and was purchased by Patti and Terry Klaus in 1976. The Klaus family have rebuilt her over the years, and have raced and sailed her for three decades. Brigadoon has been the flagship of the St. Francis Yacht Club, the Master Mariners, and has been a consistent winner in MMBA, Jessica Cup Races, and a winner at the MMBA/Corinthian Wooden Boat Show held each June in Tiburon. Painting based on photographs taken by the artist during the 2008 Tall Ships Festival.  Golden Gate Bridge in the background.

 

Entire site copyright © 2010 Alan Ryall Marine Art. All rights reserved.